1. The Central Vigilance Commission, on receipt of a complaint on 24th August containing various allegations against the senior functionaries of the investigating agency, served three separate notices on 11th September upon the Director to produce files and documents before the Commission on 14th September. Despite repeated reminders, the Director, failed to furnish the files before the commission.
2. Considering the unprecedented circumstances, the Central Vigilance Commission passed orders divesting Alok Kumar Verma and Rakesh Asthana of the functions, power, duty and supervisory role in respect of cases already registered.
3. Government evaluated the situation before it and decided to divest Alok Kumar Verma and Rakesh Asthana of their functions.
4. This has been done as an interim measure and will subsist till the CVC concludes its inquiry into all issues which have given rise to the present situation.
5. The appointments committee of the cabinet approved that during the period of such interim measure, M. Nageshwar Rao, presently working as Joint Director at the investigative agency, shall look after the duties and functions of Director with immediate effect.